Thursday, August 8, 2013

And it begins!

Molo!! (Xhosa for hello)

I am writing this blog post from my new home in Cape Town!

The past week has been a whirlwind! From backing saying goodbyes to friends and family, to meeting the rest of the GRS intern class and experiencing the fun-filled 5 day orientation in Hanover, to the grueling travel to South Africa and finally, the long-awaited arrival in Cape Town (!), it has been an emotional rollercoaster!

Since I'm not really sure how to go about formulating this blog post, I'm just going to list some highlights thus far:
  • The outstanding orientation led by Leah, Hooter, Austin, and S-Cal--I didn't think I could be much more excited for this year, but after an incredibly fun and informative orientation led by these incredible humans, I am even more excited to be joining the GRS team and contributing to some of the awesome things going on at GRS!
  • Getting to know my fellow interns--an incredibly fun, welcoming, and talented group of people!
  • Attending a dinner at which 3 of the 4 founders, plus nearly all the board members of GRS attended and getting the chance to learn about their visions for GRS as well as the impressive history of the organization.
  • Being assigned my first project that Eric (my fellow Khayelitsha programs intern, mutual friend of Matt Wetherell, and animal soulmate) will be spearheading in Khayelitsha involving the use of fingerprinting technology.
  • Revisiting some of my favorite Cape Town spots--Lion's Head, Royale Eatery to name a few.
  • Playing in my first soccer match of the year down at the waterfront!
  • Meeting the Cape Town staff!
  • Getting settled into my new home, an amazing spot in the Gardens district with amazing views of Table Mountain, Devils Peak, and Lions Head, complete with a massive patio with a mini soccer field!
  • Learning my first Xhosa phrases with Eric from our new friend Nothula. We now know how to say hello, how are you, thank you, you're welcome, and I don't know--pretty good for day 3!
  • Driving test, not sure if Eric and I passed yet...it's pretty tricky driving stick shift cars on the opposite side of the road in a city with hills like San Francisco.



2013-2014 GRS interns!


Views from the roof of Lions Head and Table Mountain, not too shabby :)
So far, my main emotion has been extreme excitement! I am so excited to dive into work with GRS (tomorrow I will be attending my first HIV Counseling and Testing tournament in Khayelitsha so stay tuned for details on that!), and am thrilled to be back in Cape Town and getting the chance to revisit some of my favorite spots and explore new ones.

On the top of Lion's Head on the first nice day in wintery Cape Town!

No comments:

Post a Comment